Friday, October 20, 2017

The Joy of Dating


   When one thinks of the word date, what comes into their head? When I think of the word date I think of doing something fun with someone. A date is that opportunity to get to know someone better, while trying something new. I love that aspect of dating. I get to try something new. I’ve only been on a handful of dates while in college. Some of the dates are more memorable than others, but all of them are memorable for one reason or another. One of my favorite dates was the chance to go rock climbing. I learned that rock climbing can be fun and not so scary. This date also taught me that with the right person I can do things I never would. I loved that date because he pushed me to succeed, and I did. My arms hurt afterwards, but it was a good hurt, and a reminder that I did accomplish something new.
   
    This week in class I learned a new perspective on dating. In class we drew a lot from Elder Oaks talk on what constitutes a date. According to Elder Oaks, with the help of his granddaughter he describes a date as something that is planned, paid for, and paired off. What does this mean? When a date is planned it means that there is some activity set in place for the two people to do. It is important to know and remember, a planned date does not have to be a big event. While it is important to have an idea on what to do for the date, it is equally important to plan something to get to know the person. Some of my favorite dates were always the simple ones, ones we had a chance to talk and laugh.
   
   While in class we compared the concept of planned, paid for, and paired off with the proclamation. In the proclamation it is the responsibility of the father to preside, provide, and protect his family. These teachings are related. While on a date the man is responsible for the woman. This is, in a way the man protecting the woman while they are paired off with each other. They are responsible for each other, while together.
   
   Planning the date can be both scary and exciting. When a guy is planning the date he is practicing his ability to preside over an event. This skill will become even more important when having a family. It is the responsibility of the husband to lead family home evening. If he practices his skills now they will be perfected as time goes on. Paying for a date can be the scariest, besides asking the girl out. Paying for a date shows the man’s willingness to do it. This concept can be related to providing. Providing is just as important as the other two points of Elder Oaks talk. When the man provides the things for the date it shows the girl what he is capable of doing for us. We women should reciprocate in kind, the way we know how. Our responsibility is to nurture.
  
   We are to nurture our families and those around us. In the process of dating, when we nurture the man he is more likely to try. When we acknowledge he has done a great job with what he has we boost his confidence. Dating is a process. It is a trial of give and take. We are to give the support we can, and we are to take the support when offered. The last topic discussed in class was the different types of love. There are three types I’d love to focus on. The first type of love is called Eros. Eros is passionate love.
  
   This kind of love I feel is the first one we all experience or will experience in the beginning stages of a relationship. The word Eros is Greek in origin and is where we get the word erotic. However, if a relationship is filled with nothing but Eros it can burn out quickly. The other type of love is Philia. This is brotherly love. This kind of love a person feels towards roommates or really close friends.  The third type of love is Storge love. This love is the love that exists between a parent and child. The love between a parent and child is a very special kind of love. No matter what the child does or will do a parent will love them. There is a special bond between parent and child that cannot be broken.

  
   All three types of love are important in their own way. They are just as important together as they are apart. There is someone for everyone. I know for me personally, I will get married. I will find my eternal companion. He will be my best friend, my partner, and helper in raising my children. We must all go through the ups and downs of dating. Let us remember to have fun going on dates. As we do we will learn a little more about ourselves, the person we are with, and the person we are meant to be with.

No comments: