Friday, October 13, 2017

The brain:The ways of men and women

I loved this week’s discussion on gender roles and behaviors. We were able to talk about a lot of different things given the time we have in class. I loved having to think of ways guys are different from girls besides the usual answers. As I was writing down my differences I had to stop and really think before I wrote something down. In the times we live in today what makes girls and guys different can be argued more so then they used to be. One of my answers was brain process. We naturally think differently than our counter parts. It was great to see why men have certain behaviors and to remember they have their strong points as well. It is why Heavenly Father made man and woman. We need each other to balance each other out and complete each other. Yes, I know it’s corny but it is also true.
    
   Another topic I enjoyed was the subject of what constitutes a person as a tomboy. My mother is a tomboy. I love my mother and I love what she can do, and has done for me. It was interesting to me to learn how and what makes a tomboy. It happens early in development. One question I’ve often asked both my parents was if they were upset that I was a girly girl. I would often ask them did they want another tomboy. They always gave the same answer: “No, it’s nice to have a girly girl we can spoil and live vicariously through.” This answer always made me feel better about myself and who I was. This discussion also helped me understand why my dad thinks the way he does. I know now it’s because of what is in the brain. I don’t have to accept the answer “He’s daddy, you know how daddy is.”
    
   We also talked about behaviors that are “sex type tendencies”. In class we discussed male and female tendencies. Women tend to be more expressive with their feelings. They lean toward more social playing, playing with others, and because they tend to play with others they are more likely to be cooperative. We also tend to think of things in a relationship kind of way. Men tend to be more aggressive with their feelings. They see almost everything as a competition, and tend to have more special orientation.
     
   Spatial orientation is the ability to maintain a sense of direction with a surrounding area. A test was done some years ago to see men and women’s thinking pattern at certain times. One test had the men follow directions to get from one place to the other. The men were blind-folded and told which way to go by a tap on the shoulder. When the test was done the men were given a map and asked how to get to a certain point on the map. The men passed. This same test was given to the women, who unfortunately didn’t do so well. Another test was given, this time to see if men and women remember details. Women were placed in a cluttered room for a few minutes then taken out. They were asked if they could remember anything that was in that room. The women could remember almost everything and gave great details of where everything was in relation to other things in the room. The men were given the same test and sadly didn’t do so well this time. So why is this?

  
   Scientist who study the brain have seen that men and women have different amounts of brain matter. Men have more gray matter. This part of the brain is responsible for cataloging and compartmentalizing. It is why we say men have “one track brains.” Women have more white matter. This is the part of the brain that is able to focus on more than one thing. It is often why women multi-task better than men. They are also able to think of everything in relation to another. An example would be: When my first child does this, it upsets my second child, which will then upset this part of the house. I loved this week’s class. I was able to learn something new that day and get some of my own answers on the male and female brain. It was a great reminder to me that “ALL HUMAN BEINGS—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.”

No comments: